The USMS Adult Learn-to-Swim instructor certification program curriculum is based on teaching methods practiced by leading adult learn-to-swim authorities. It incorporates the most innovative and effective training methods and gives certified instructors the tools to teach adults to swim, at a minimum, one length of a 25-yard pool and become safer in the water.
This one-day course, with classroom and in-water instruction, is taught throughout the country by USMS-certified lead ALTS instructors. At the conclusion of the course, successful candidates will receive USMS-ALTS instructor certification.
To become a USMS-certified ALTS instructor, you must:
- Be a member of USMS
- Attend the USMS ALTS instructor certification course
- Successfully complete the end-of-course tests
The cost for certification is $300 per instructor and includes both classroom and pool instruction, all course materials, and the USMS-certified Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor designation for the remainder of the calendar year in which certification was achieved.
USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor Designation
Once you become a certified ALTS instructor, we recommend that you renew the ALTS designation for each registration year, at the cost of $30.* This will ensure that you continue to receive the recognition and opportunities designed for our professional ALTS instructors. These include:
- Name and certification listed at usms.org on the USMS-Certified ALTS Instructors page
- Opportunity to be included in our publicly searchable database, so clients can find you
- Special sponsor partner discounts
- One-on-one support from USMS’s program services department
- STREAMLINES for ALTS Instructors quarterly eNewsletter
- Invitation to our ALTS Facebook page, where instructors can network and ask questions
- Discounts on USMS continuing-education courses
- Education and resources necessary to teach adults to learn to swim and become safer in water, including lesson plans, lesson templates, and marketing resources
Please note: USMS provides resources and support for active member instructors only. If your USMS membership lapses, your ALTS certification and designation will not be recognized during that time. Once your USMS membership is reactivated and your ALTS instructor designation fees are paid in arrears, your USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor designation will be reinstated.
Contact Holly Neumann for more information regarding ALTS certification.
*Any eligible member who selects both the USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor and the USMS-Certified Masters Coach designations will receive the benefits of both designations for the annual fee of $30.